Friday, February 29, 2008

Going into (temporary) hibernation …

Today’s Buzz ...

from last night’s Anderson Cooper 360°:

Prince Harry in Afghanistan: Congratulations to Matt Drudge for endangering not only the life of Prince Harry by disclosing his Afghan deployment, but all who were serving with him. Good judgment there, Matty!



But sarcasm aside, Nic Robertson (in London) and Michael Ware (in Baghdad) provided additional information (based on first-hand experience) about the dangerous area of Afghanistan where Prince Harry was stationed. Nic also shared a pool video showing him carrying out his combat duties – no “royal” comforts to be found anywhere near there! Michael added a bit of his own “Drudge sarcasm” by referring to those like him as “galahs” and “drongos”, which turns out is Australian slang for “idiots”.




Crucial Tuesday: A spin-off of Super Tuesday, to be sure. Candy Crowley reported from Columbus, Ohio about the continuing battle for the Democratic Presidential nomination. She summed up the current political landscape very succinctly and better than any poll ever could: “Tuesday, Barack Obama has as much to lose as Hillary Clinton has to gain.”



Veepstakes: Joe Johns took a look at conventional wisdom when it comes to VP choices – and applied it to the remaining three viable candidates. Bottom line: Pick someone who complements a weakness (such as foreign policy experience) and don’t pick anyone that will ‘drag you down’. There have been more than enough of those examples - Dan Quayle comes to mind (although Bush 41 did win one term).



Raw Politics: Last night’s panel (David Gergen, Roland Martin, Leslie Sanchez) once again covered a ‘potpourri’ of topics, from Bush’s criticism of Obama, to the very tight race in Texas, to political reaction towards skyrocketing gas prices.



Friday preview: There was a brief segment shown of Randi Kaye’s report for tonight’s AC360° special: Debate on the Border. Randi investigated the consequences of enforcement of a new Arizona law which cracks down on employers hiring illegal immigrants.




Voice of 360°: Last night’s audition was with KISS band member Gene Simmons – yes, the one with unbelievable tongue dexterity. It was pretty good, but now that we know it’s all a joke – is it still as funny as it was in the beginning? BTW – I don’t know if CNN allows for ‘cross-pollination’ of talent, but I’d suggest none other than Richard Quest!



Wrapping it up: As I first announced yesterday, this will be my last blog entry, at least for the time being. I’m very glad that I took this step and gave ‘blogging’ a try for myself – partly because I never would have believed how time-intensive this kind of venture would be! I have a new appreciation for those who write daily ‘on the side’ – and not as part of their ‘regular’ job. It’s been suggested to me that perhaps cutting back to blogging on ‘weekends only’ may help, and I’ll certainly give it serious consideration, once I’m settled in the new job.

I also wanted to assure those who asked – that I will remain as the AC 360° / GunmetalGrey Yahoo group owner and moderator – so if you’d like to join us there, please click on the sidebar link to request membership.

It’s truly been a privilege for me to be able to work on this little endeavor, and especially to be able to conduct extensive interviews with two tremendously professional, intelligent, insightful and caring CNN correspondents – Soledad O’Brien and Gary Tuchman. I will always value the opportunity to ‘dig deeper’ into their thoughts on so many topics and I sincerely appreciate their candor and humor!

Once again, thank you very, very much to all who participated – and hopefully the adventure will begin again soon!

4 comments:

ac said...

Prince Harry had been serving for almost 2 months,and no one had any idea he was there.All he wanted to do was serve alongside his fellow soldiers,and he may have been able to do so safely and no one would have ever known he was there-UNTIL this ''person'' released this information.

This put not only HArry,but his soldiers in danger as well.What the heck was this guy thinking-or obviously he wasn't thinking at all!

Have to admit,I did not see Friday's show or the Debate On The Border.

I think Richard Quest would bring a certain flare to the 360 announcer audition.

I loved his segments with Anderson while the Queen was visiting the US-especially his quizzes to Anderson about Royal Trivia!LOL


I enjoy coming to this site a lot,and hope you can continue to post from time to time,if you get a chance.

Once again,best of luck on your new job,we will see you over at GunmetalGrey.



Take care.

newsblooz said...

Thank you so much for your support, Anne! And as I said, once I get 'settled back in', I'll see if I can manage at least a part-time return! :-)

js said...

Oh no! I seemed to have missed the temporary hibernation part. I love this site, but good luck in your new job.
Also, I was outraged at Matt Drudge for posting Harry's position in Afghanistan. I used to visit his site daily but no more.
judy Stage/Brooklyn MI

newsblooz said...

Hi Judy - thanks very much for your kind words - I appreciate that! I'll see if I can make a return once I figure out what kind of new schedule I'll be on!

And yes - BOO on Drudge!! ;-)