Friday, February 8, 2008

Mitt Quits ....

Today's Buzz ...

John King subbed for Anderson last night ...



Mitt Quits: Well, ‘suspends’ is the actual terminology. And it apparently came as quite a surprise to many Romney supporters at yesterday’s CPAC meeting. I was able to watch some of the live stream on CNN.com and heard the gasps in the audience! But Mitt is a businessman, and when you’ve paid what looks like six times as much for each of your delegates in comparison to the front-runner ... well, it’s time to bow out.



Dana Bash had a report on how this move will affect the McCain campaign, and how it may pave the way for an easier unification between John McCain and GOP conservatives.



But I would be extremely remiss if I failed to include Jon Stewart’s “take” on the subject:



Ed Rollins at bat: John then interviewed Huckabee campaign chairman Ed Rollins, who drew numerous and clear distinctions between Mike Huckabee and John McCain. He also continued to insist that the Huckabee campaign continues until one candidate reaches 1,191 delegates. I think that’s pretty much what Mitt Romney insisted as well, isn’t it?




McCain’s challenge: The majority of the political panel discussion last night involved whether John McCain can really win the ‘hearts and minds’ of GOP conservatives, and how he needs to go about doing it.

David Gergen, Bay Buchanan, David Brody


Miracle baby: Amidst the deadly tornadoes in the Tennessee on Tuesday evening, 11-month-old Kyson Stowell survived being literally flung the length of a football field by the winds. He apparently landed in a pile of very soft soil – almost mud-like – which is part of what may have saved him and prevented any major injuries. Unfortunately, his mother didn’t survive – but I assume from David Mattingly’s report that he will be cared for by his grandparents – at least temporarily.





Vick’s Pit Bulls: I can’t write this part without crying. Only a cruel, heartless monster like Michael Vick – and his cronies – could have abused and tortured and mutilated and killed so many wonderful, innocent dogs. All in the name of “sport” – or “entertainment”. If all of those guilty spent the rest of their lives in prison, it still wouldn’t be nearly long enough.




That’s all I’m going to write about last night’s 360° - I said my peace about Britney yesterday and that’s done. I only caught the first few minutes of “Extreme Challenge – The Next Four Years”, since I didn’t know about it ahead of time and my DVR was set to end after the first hour. But I've read thru the transcript and if the program is ever re-aired (and I’m sure it will be), I will most definitely watch it in full. Two of the most rational and sane and intelligent analysts at CNN spending an hour discussing Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran, North Korea, global terrorism, the US economy, health care and global warming – with Anderson Cooper? I’m so THERE – with the DVR running this time! If you want to get THE best summary of the complexity and enormity of the challenges that will be faced by President Clinton, President Obama or President McCain (it's still difficult to write any of those titles, believe me) – invest one hour of your time and watch this special – I can already tell that it’s well worth the 60 Minutes!





Other News and Notes:

Speaking of “60 Minutes”: No, not an Anderson Cooper segment – but there will be interviews with both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama this Sunday. A good chance to get contrasting views from the candidates - in a non-confrontational setting.


tonight on Anderson Cooper 360°:



Thanks for visiting - updates posted as needed - have a terrific weekend (in case I don't get back here until Sunday!)

No comments: