Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Heath Ledger found dead …

Today’s Buzz ...

Heath Ledger (1979-2008)

(photo courtesy of Yahoo Photos)

I think I’m just beginning to let the news really sink in, as are many others. And I wasn’t even really what you would call a ‘fan’, although I enjoyed most of the movies that I’d seen him in and thought he was a good actor. It’s just so sad when someone so young (28 years old) suddenly dies, under unknown circumstances. Unknown until the toxicology tests are completed, that is. And as is true with every single other report I’ve heard or read, much sympathy is extended to his family, including his two-year-old daughter Matilda.



Jason Carroll reported from the building where Ledger was renting an apartment in Soho. I usually enjoy Jason’s reports, but last night it seemed like he just a bit unprepared and Anderson ended up asking him a number of questions that (IMHO) probably should have been covered in a summary right upfront. I appreciated the report from Gary Tuchman about Heath Ledger’s all-too-brief movie career, which was appreciated, since I’d forgotten (for example) that he’d starred in “10 Things I Hate About You”.



Anderson also interviewed Dr. Drew Pinsky about the circumstances surrounding Heath Ledger’s death. Dr. Drew advised jumping to conclusions about what may (or may not) have happened. As an example, he brought up the fact that while unlikely, there may have been some kind of underlying medical condition that was exacerbated by medication that Ledger had taken.



Politics front and center: Both Joe Johns and Tom Foreman had excellent reports last night. Joe had a “Keeping Them Honest” report about the accusations thrown back & forth during the Democratic Debate. Tom took a look at the ‘shifting’ policy statements that each of the remaining Dem candidates has made regarding their Iraq troop withdrawal plans. Tom’s assessment? More ammunition for the Republicans to claim the right to call out “flip-flop” without rebuttal.

Anderson discussed politics with Candy Crowley, John King and Joe Madison (WOL Radio) – talking about the Obama-Clinton ‘war of words’, lack of substantive discussion about relevant issues, the Democratic assessment of McCain’s potential ‘opponent status’, Fred Thompson dropping out of the race, and the soon-to-broadcast ‘request’ from Joe Madison to DNC Chairman Howard Dean to grow a backbone and reign in the current internal warfare before irreparable damage occurs.



Candy Crowley also had a report about the impact that Bill Clinton is having on the campaign. Unfair advantage for Hillary Clinton? Well, in a word – YES – and it just doesn’t play well in any way that you look at it. First, it gives the impression that she can’t ‘cut it’ in even a campaign mode without relying on him. How can we expect her to face down the likes of Hugo Chavez or Kim Jung-Il without her co-president? Second, it gives the impression that Barack Obama is running against two people. There is no question that Bill Clinton has unprecindented status in this situation. He’s not the usual and customary “supportive spouse”. As Candy said in her report: “She is deft, charming and politically savvy, but Michelle Obama is no Bill Clinton.



Marine murder update: Randi Kaye reported last night that suspect Cesar Laurean has been recently spotted in Mexico – by his cousin – who claimed that Laurean just ‘stopped by’ on his way to another destination. Probably somewhere else in Mexico, a country that has a ‘no-death-penalty’ extradition treaty with the US. So if he is ever captured on Mexican soil and sent back for trial, it will be with the assurance that he will not face the death penalty.



Life on Mars?: “The Shot” last night was interesting – it was one from the surface of the planet Mars and if you use your imagination, I suppose you might be able to see an outline of a human life form. It’s not – obviously it’s some form of shadowed rock formation or something similar – but it’s fun to speculate ... Sasquatch jokes aside ... ;-)



Beat 360°: I’m highlighting this entry because it reminds me of a moment in time when the knives weren’t drawn and political blood hadn’t been spilled yet:



I’m curious: As to why there was no mention of the big “Erica” announcement from earlier in the day ... I was waiting during each of the breaks, but not a word ... perhaps they’re waiting until February 1st to make an ‘official’ on-air welcome ...



tonight on Anderson Cooper 360°:



Thanks for visiting - updates posted as needed - have a terrific Wednesday!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all due respect, but how much more welcome should Erica be given when none is given to other new correspondents? Anderson already gave her a glowing blog with many glowing posts?

She and Anderson are not getting married, she is just transferring to his show, and probably with a lot of help from him.

newsblooz said...

Fair enough. This certainly isn't in alignment with the 70 comments currently listed on the AC360 blog - I believe all of them are glowing in terms of welcoming Erica! But I'm glad that you felt able to express a 'contrary' viewpoint here.

I've never had time to watch "Prime News", so I can't honestly give an opinion about her journalistic skills.

I agree that Erica seems smart, funny and 'real' - but I would add so do many other (female) CNN anchors and correspondents who don't benefit from as high a 'profile'.

Yet that 'magic chemistry' is an elusive thing and obviously the majority of viewers enjoy the AC/EH interaction, so I'm sure it will work out well for the AC360 staff and be very popular!

Stardust said...

I was very saddened to hear about Heath Ledger’s death. I thought his performances in "The Patriot" and "Brokeback Mountain" were wonderful. Eric Roberts said something on LK that I hadn’t thought about; he said when someone of stature like Heath dies it brings all of us together. I think there is some truth to that. Also, I think that an unexpected death of a person as young and successful as Heath makes people think about their own mortality. Gary’s and Jason’s reports on Heath’s death were very good, but I was angered to see the paparazzi gathered outside Michelle Williams’ Brooklyn home last night. Heath was a private person and he and his family deserve better.

Thanks for the lovely photo of Heath.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with welcoming Erica to 360 in a big way. She has been a part of the 360 family for a long time, but never really had a chance to “show her stuff.” I think she deserves that chance. I have watched Erica’s HLN show and she does excellent interviews. I hope it works out because I think she will bring a lot to the program. I wish her the best of luck!

Frankly, I don't think someone marrying Anderson would be deserving of this level of attention.

Anonymous said...

I will bet that not all the comments on the blog were positive, CNN chose not to post them.

And yes, she does seem to be smart, funny and real. As are Gary Tuchman, Tom Foreman, et al.

Anonymous said...

Stardust: you comment of "I don't think someone marrying Anderson would be deserving of this level of attention."

Are you saying that someone marrying Anderson would deserve this much attention as Erica is getting? Hope you meant the reverse because that would be a true insult to the wife! She would deserve much more.

Stardust said...

@anon: I am not sure I understand you, but unless I am mistaken, this blog is supposed to be about substantive issues; Anderson's personal life is secondary. It seems strange that while you don't believe Erica, a talented journalist, should get the level of attention she is getting, you believe someone who marries Anderson would deserve "much more" attention just for marrying him. I am sorry, but that just doesn't make sense to me.

Newsblooz: I know that you like to stay away from these personal issues, but Erica deserves to be defended.

newsblooz said...

@ Anonymous & Stardust - yes, that's correct, I won't be publishing any further comments about the "Anderson - Erica - marriage" topic. While I attempt to allow as much of an open forum as I can, this subject is getting too contentious and it shouldn't be.

Thank you for your understanding.