Friday, September 21, 2007

Maybe Theraflu doesn’t always work??

Today’s Buzz ...

** Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360°:


** From last night’s program: Well, we had an MIA namesake anchor last night, but that’s OK – unless this was pre-planned time off, I would imagine that it’ll be the same tonight, and that’s OK too – colds happen and recovery is needed – so we had Soledad O’Brien filling in! And what a relief to have a comparatively “OJ-free” hour of news ...

Not sure if anyone else was in this situation, but there were “Jena 6” demonstrations even in California yesterday! All very peaceful, I might add – but I guess it’s really sinking in for me as to the extent of this event. I’m debating about whether to blog more about it over the weekend ... but nonetheless, I wish I could have watched more of the “live” coverage. The reports and interviews last night on 360° were good – even though it was mostly “after-the-fact”. If you saw the “Judgment in Jena” SIU report and would like to comment, please feel free to do so. I was able to listen to a few minutes on satellite radio, but I’ll have to check out my recording sometime tomorrow.

A quick “plug” for the upcoming Ken Burns film to debut on PBS this Sunday, September 23rd – “The War”. It’s about World War II and is unique because in all of the battle scenes, dramatic historical footage and photographs are combined with extraordinarily realistic sound effects to give the film a visceral sense of immediacy. Also – in this current day and age where the realities of war have many times been sanitized or ignored in order to advance certain political agendas, this film will hopefully “bring home” the physical and emotional trauma that is inflicted upon those who serve in battle. Check out the PBS web site (here) for more information.

Also – the AC charity auctions on eBay (see Monday’s post for info) will be ending tomorrow (Saturday) – it looks almost like a bidding war on a couple of the items – and I hope it continues – because this is to raise money for the ACORN Recovery Program in New Orleans!

AND – GOOD LUCK to the AC 360° staff this coming Monday night (September 24th) – they’re up for two News & Documentary Emmy awards (Outstanding Live Coverage of a Breaking News Story: Long Form – Sago Mines and Outstanding Individual Achievement in a Craft: Lighting Direction & Scenic Design – High Rise Crash). And Anderson is part of a group nomination in the same category (Outstanding Live Coverage of a Breaking News Story: Long Form – Election Night), and since these are the only two nominations in this category, it’s an automatic CNN win! You can see the full list of nominees here.

Last minute update before posting – Anderson has a busy week ahead – he’ll also be hosting “An Enduring Vision” for the Elton John Aids Foundation on Tuesday night (September 25th) in NYC – you can read more about THAT here as well!!


Thanks for visiting ... updates posted as needed ... have a terrific weekend!







Update # 1

Anderson to be an Edward R. Murrow Award presenter on October 15th ...

From the Radio Online site: The Radio-Television News Directors Association (RTNDA) has confirmed its lineup of presenters to honor the winners of the Edward R. Murrow Awards and the RTNDA/UNITY Awards on October 15 in New York. Awards presenters include: Anderson Cooper, CNN; Natalie Morales, NBC News; David Muir, ABC News; Michele Norris, NPR; and Harry Smith, CBS News.

Among those accepting awards who are expected to make brief remarks are NBC News president Steve Capus, who will accept the network's award for Overall Excellence, and CBS producer Michael Radutsky, who worked with the late Ed Bradley on the Duke Rape Case story for "60 Minutes," which is being honored in the News Documentary category.

RTNDA's Edward R. Murrow Awards, now in its 37th year, honor excellence in electronic journalism. In all, 52 news organizations are being honored with 79 awards out of an initial pool of 3,150 entries from 580 news organizations. You can check out the list of 2007 National Winners here.

10 comments:

Jennifer said...

Did anyone get to watch Larry King Live last night? Dan Rather is suing CBS he was talking about freedom of speech it's something we can't afford to lose, In my opinion. I think he got a raw deal he said that he wasn't going to keep the money if he were to win, but it will go to a good cause for future of journalism he doesn't want the same thing to happen to anyone else. That's from what I understand I may be wrong.

I wasn't able to listen to the whole interview so if I got any of this wrong I apologize.

Last night I notice when Soledad was on 360, I was thinking that the Thera Flu wasn't working for Anderson. Hope he gets better soon.

Jennifer said...

As far as Jena 6, I don't know what going to happen with this Jena 6 situation, but when Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton gets involved I don't think it's going to drop anytime soon. I rather not say much about the subject.

I don't know much about the subject.

Anonymous said...

Well planned time-off? Either Gawker is wrong (probably) or he got caught! There was a sighting of him last night at 7pm taking pix with tourists!

Anderson Cooper
7th Ave & 23rd St
Sep 20th, 2007 @ 7pm
Nicely taking pics with tourists, wearing ball cap, looking very casual.

Stardust said...

I watched enough of the Jena 6 reports to know that both sides are wrong and both sides should be punished. One action does not justify the other. I also notice that Sharpton and Jackson only make an appearance when they think the rights of Blacks are violated. Does that seem racist to anyone else?

Sadly, I also notice that although journalists are supposed to be objective many Black anchors and reporters have clearly taken sides on this issue.

I heard Ken Burns speak about his special on Countdown. He made some very important comparisons between that war and the war in Iraq. I am looking forward to seeing it.

@bluediamond: I do think Dan Rather was railroaded to some extent.

Jennifer said...

@ Newsblooz, Thanks for the updates, I sure would like to go to the Elton John concert.

I want to wish Anderson good luck on winning the awards that's coming up.

You have a terrific too Newsblooz :)

Jennifer said...

@ Newsblooz. You are right Soledad she's subbing for Anderson tonight.

Jennifer said...

Tonight's 360 "The Shot", It was funny about Rudy Giuliani and his mysterious caller. He was in a middle of a NRA meeting phone rings he takes the call, I guessing it was his wife - at least that's who he said it was. Makes you wonder don't it. MMMMMM... or could it have been staged???

Jennifer said...

Evil Warren Jeffs is a sick man. I think he should go to prison never get out. He's got all of his followers brain washed, I know that getting him out of the way someone else will step up to the plate and take his place. That's a shame he should be hung.

Their was a lady interviewed the other day she was ask does she ever get jealous of the other wives she said yes, but that is something we don't talk about we just learn to expect. I'm so thankful I'm not in her shoes, I would be getting the blank.... out of their.

I just so thankful that I don't have to live like those women do - whenever I get married I'm not going to share my husband with anyone. I'm sure that I am speaking for most of the ladies out their.

newsblooz said...

@bluediamond and stardust: I agree with two points - (1) I also think that Dan Rather got burned pretty badly and pretty unfairly, and (2) the more that Jesse Jackson & Al Sharpton speak out seemingly only during moments of heightened publicity, the less credible they become - IMHO.

Anonymous said...

I also notice that Sharpton and Jackson only make an appearance when they think the rights of Blacks are violated. Does that seem racist to anyone else?

No! It's not racist. Jackson and Sharpton are mainly concerned with African Americans because that's basically who they represent and want to see treated fairly when things take a discriminatory turn. Perhaps if there weren't so much racism in this country as has been for centuries, there wouldn't be any need for people like Jackson and Sharpton, but obviously racism's not dying and OF COURSE blacks need someone to speak to their cause just like any other minority group would.