Wednesday, November 14, 2007

“Bring Some Heat …”

Today's Buzz ...

The more I hear about the latest OJ “caper”, the more I’m convinced that you just couldn’t have paid a screenwriter enough to write the idiotic, bumbling, arrogant, sleazy script that this scenario is turning into. Honestly – what are we suppose to think when Michael McClinton - one of the “star” prosecution witnesses - says this on the stand: “He (OJ) said to show them your weapon and look menacing.” I laughed – what more can you do? And if this really does go to trial, and it looks like it will, it will make the prior three-ring-circus involving an OJ trial look like a serious study of judicial equity. Maybe if we prayed that it all just goes away???




I know that the cynic in me is going to ring through loud and clear, but when I heard that Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue was leading a prayer observance yesterday - for rain – I envisioned one of those horribly stereotypical Indian rain dance scenes. Come on. Praying for rain??? Aren’t we a little beyond that kind of tactic – at least technologically speaking? We can get water to the Southeast – maybe not in the amounts that they’re used to having available with normal rainfalls – but I have the impression that no one wants to admit the proverbial 800-pound elephant in the room – no one wants to shoulder that economic burden. It all comes down to money.



I’m not the best “viewer” when it comes to paying attention during call-in segments, I admit it. And last night’s was no exception. I do enjoy listening to interviews with both Deepak Chopra and Dr. Mehmet Oz, and I did agree with what was said regarding prayer from the perspective that it assists to relieve stress for the individual praying, and allows them to feel “uplifted” (I’m paraphrasing) by belief and hope through the act of prayer. And I’m all for that, as I also feel that – and I have nothing against prayer (don’t let my cynicism above fool you). And there are times when I feel praying to give someone else strength in a time of need or grief is a positive act, but in many cases, I’m uncomfortable when someone asks me to pray for them, or for others. I feel like I’m being asked to ask an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent higher force to change a course of events already set in motion. It’s probably why I never ask anyone to specifically pray for me; if someone offers, I let them know it’s appreciated, but I don’t like putting people in that position. Have you ever had anyone (other than an atheist or agnostic) turn you down? Anyway ...



I’m not going to post anything separately about yesterday’s broadcast, as nothing other than the death of Donda West really interested me to any great extent. How sad to have that happen under the circumstances that are rumored to have occurred ... especially when she was so close to Kanye and so supportive of his career. She was such a source of strength and now that’s no longer present for him to rely on. It’s always tough to lose a parent, no matter how old you are. And now we hear that her surgeon, Dr. Jan Adams, is having his license reviewed by the Medical Board of California for possible suspension or revocation due to two DUI’s he’s had in the past four years. I’m quite certain that this story will be continuing on for quite awhile, and has certainly sparked a great deal of interest in the possible dangers associated with cosmetic surgery.



Other news and notes:

Best wishes to Nancy Grace – she’s been hospitalized with blood clots in her lungs as a result of her pregnancy – that’s pretty serious, but she’s apparently doing well. She gave birth prematurely to twins back on November 4th, but the babies reportedly are doing fine also. I don’t watch her show, and generally don’t condone her interview tactics, but you’ve got to give her points for defending her beliefs!

I’m so pleased to hear that NY Governor Eliot Spitzer has come to his senses, and will no longer be advocating for issuing driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants. He managed to rip into the federal government’s lack of action about immigration during his “concession” speech, but that subject takes too much time for purposes of the “mention” I’m giving here. Hopefully, Gov. Spitzer won’t have any “re-lapses” about other similar hot-button issues where he is just so clearly and unequivocally wrong.




Who knew that Renee Zellweger has such good taste? I’m not "big" on celeb news here, but there IS a reason I'm posting this – here’s an excerpt from the upcoming Harper’s Bazaar interview with RZ entitled – “Renée Zellweger - Not Big On 'The Scene' “ – “A perfect night for Texas-born Zellweger? Staying in and watching CNN, apparently. Newscaster "Anderson Cooper would probably be involved at some juncture," she says.” Things that make you go “hmmm” ... I'll leave the rest of the article for you guys to read on your own, if you have any interest ...

And I’m not sure how many of you have noticed the bandaged left hand of Dr. Sanjay Gupta – although it’s certainly difficult to miss!! He spent a few minutes yesterday on American Morning describing what happened – he fell down a flight of stairs a couple of weeks ago while covering the wildfires and ended up having surgery on his left hand (with pins inserted – yuck!). He’s apparently a good therapy patient, but expressed a little concern about getting back 100% use of his hand. Here are some screen caps of the segment, and yes, the last one with Kiran is her showing the position of Sanjay’s fingers right after the accident - it’s not what it first appears to be, you naughty readers!!! ;-)







Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360°:



Thanks for visiting - updates posted as needed - have a terrific evening!

2 comments:

Stardust said...

Newsblooz: I am still laughing at what you wrote! This new OJ case is like a terrible B movie that many people (not including me) can’t tear their eyes away from! I am afraid this fiasco is far from over since the judge just ruled that it will be going to trial. Do you think if we all prayed “360” would avoid covering it? There aren’t enough prayers in the world.

BTW, I completely agree with your observations on prayer.

What is really frightening about the death of Donda West is the fact that she had access to the best medical care around. What are the risks to people who don’t have access to that type of care?

I am not so sure Governor Eliot Spitzer has changed his mind. It seems like a bit of a coincidence that he developed a change of heart right after Hillary’s trip up over illegal immigration. Something tells me the Governor will be revisiting this issue again in the future.

newsblooz said...

Oh - I totally agree about Governor Spitzer - I just didn't want too be too cynical all in one day. I'd bet serious money that there was a 'call' from the Clinton camp - and that Spitzer will benefit enormously if she wins.

One of my first thoughts about the Donda West tragedy was also the same, "My God - what about all the desperate people who get cosmetic surgery from street hacks?" I suspect that it had to do quite a bit with some charm, charisma and an overhyped "image" (combined with a hidden lack of medical skills) that was successfully portrayed to the patients of Dr. Jan Adams!