Thursday, November 15, 2007

“Fly The Friendly Skies”

Today's Buzz ...

Or not?? They probably are as friendly, but are they as safe?? Probably not, according to correspondent Jeanne Meserve ... at least not according to the latest GAO report released yesterday. The TSA is still confiscating your shampoo, toothpaste and deodorant, but missing the bomb-making components that made it through the screening devices and the pat-downs. How comforting. Once again, where’s the logic – where’s the rational, sane thinking here? It’s been six years since 9/11 – and why haven’t we simply copied the security model from El Al Airlines and implemented it here? I guess that would have circumvented all of the money shelled out for various commissions and study panels and focus groups and (more) no-bid contracts – to start a brand new “security” system from scratch. Welcome to the “American Way” ...



I’m really looking forward to the Democratic Debate tonight (and no disrespect to Wolf(bot) – he does a very good job in these events), but I wish there was a different moderator. Anyway – Anderson spoke with Wolf, Gloria Borger and John King about the strategies that the candidates need to employ tonight to be “successful”. I think the Hill is going to be hit hard with being a “poll-tested” candidate, as John characterized it. It was disturbing to hear that US voters seem to be accepting of a candidate that they may not fully trust to be honest, but feel will be “electable”. If trust isn’t a significant part of that equation, then what is?? What constitutes “electability”?? That word keeps getting thrown around, yet no one had provided any kind of definitive explanation of what it means. Wait a minute – I totally forgot – this is p-o-l-i-t-i-c-s ...






And we move along to OJ – a night without OJ, is like a night without, well, sleaze for one thing ...!! The judge ruled yesterday that there is enough evidence for a trial – as Jeff Toobin predicted. But OJ is already back in Florida – so there was no jail time involved – for now. And I doubt that there will ever be – but we can only hope at this point. And I’ve decided that one of my main goals for what is sure to become front page news is to never (ever) learn the names of all of the unsavory D-list con artists pictured below:



If you’re a woman married to a man with the last name of “Peterson”, perhaps it’s time to consider a divorce?? Or maybe just getting on the first bus, train, or plane out of town? How creepy is this Drew Peterson character? I hope that Stacy Peterson is found, if only to be able to convict her murderer (and no, I’m not specifying a name, to uphold the right to be “innocent until proven guilty”).



The last story of the evening totally shattered my heart into a million pieces. I’m still missing a few thousand, believe me. I’d heard about advanced stage Alzheimer’s patients becoming attached to other people after they no longer recognize their loved ones, but I never knew it was as prevalent as it obviously is. It’s difficult enough to have to watch a husband, wife, parent, sibling, etc. deteriorate in front of you, and know that there’s nothing that can be done other than to try and make their life as comfortable as possible. But in the case of a spouse, to have to accept that you’ve been ‘replaced’ (in a way) by a new ‘love’ is simply devastating beyond words. I was in awe of June Schnyder, whom Gary Tuchman interviewed last night. And also former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor – she is in a similar situation with her husband. I’m just not sure that I would have the strength and the faith that they have to continue doing what they can to play a role in their husband’s lives. I know intellectually why it happens and that it’s not a personal rejection – but it is personal, because it’s happening to you. Which is why I so admire all of the women (and men) who are faced with these situations and are dealing with them with grace and dignity.




Other news and notes:

CNN is expanding its international newsgathering resources: “In the biggest expansion of international newsgathering resources in its 27-year history, CNN Worldwide today announced plans to significantly increase the number of correspondents worldwide, open a regional newsgathering hub in the United Arab Emirates, invest in a London-based digital-production unit, and make major investments in CNN’s International Newsource and CNN’s in-house wire operations.” You can read the full press release here.


John McCain in hot water (again): There was a question asked at the AC360 Yahoo group about the “flap” over a McCain supporter who used a derogatory word to describe Hillary Clinton – during a Q&A session with the Senator. The event was being videotaped, so the question – and McCain’s response – were aired and discussed at length during “Out In The Open” with Rick Sanchez on Tuesday evening. Apparently, as these kinds of things go, it’s become a heated discussion topic, with McCain’s camp (and other conservatives) accusing CNN of all kinds of things relating to liberal bias. Here’s my dos centavos (as I posted for the group as well):

I'm going to take a shot at this, only because I happened to be home when "Out In The Open" was on Tuesday night, so I saw (or heard, as I was working in another room) this all unfold - live. I did see the actual video, though, and I know that there's all kinds of 'fall-out' from this report. I also caught the last few minutes of OITO last night too. I'm not going to comment on how Rick Sanchez did (or didn't) handle the report, either - more 'astute' critics are already weighing in on that. And this is only IMHO ...

I think this comes down to a moment of judgment. Life isn't scripted. And Senator McCain knew that there was a camera rolling in that room. No one would be talking about the woman's choice of words if he had taken a mere 10 seconds to say something like: "Although I support your right to speak your mind, I'd rather not have any of my fellow candidates referred to in those terms. Now to answer your question ..." and then MOVE ON. Take care of it right then and there. And my opinion would be no different if this was Guiliani, Romney, Obama, Edwards or any of the others - I would say the exact same thing. If you think you're 'qualified' to be the next US President, then you %&$# well better be sure that you know how to properly handle a microscopic "blip" like this. And not let it turn into the "controversy of the day", like it has.

SOOO ... moving on ... ;-)

A very quick “shout-out” to David at ‘The Middle Way Forward ’ – he posted my additional comments from Anderson’s speech on Tuesday at his blog – how kind of him to do that!! And as for his post-speech analysis – I agree 100% with you, David – “We Need More Anderson Coopers”!!!

Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360°:




Thanks for visiting – updates posted as needed – have a terrific day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Alzheimers story broke my heart also. My grandma had Alzheimers and as a grandaughter it was so very difficult the first time she didn't know who I was. I can't even put into words the feelings I experienced at that moment. I know it broke my grandpa's heart watching his wife go through the stages of this desease and am only thankful he didn't have to go through what Sandra Day O'Connor and June Schnyder are going through.

newsblooz said...

Gosh - my sympathy to you - it's so tragic to see a loved one's memory deteriorate in that way. Hopefully - someday - we'll have the knowledge to either halt the effects or prevent this disease from taking hold in the first place!

Stardust said...

Newsblooz: I don’t know anyone who suffers from Alzheimer’s, however, I wanted to comment about Gary’s report. Like Anderson, Gary is always able to find just the right balance of objectivity and emotion when he covers reports like this. I thought his story on Alzheimer’s patient Thomas Schnyder and his wife June was very bittersweet, however, June’s unconditional love makes their story a success. It is obvious that their wedding vows really did mean something to June.

Also, like Anderson's, Gary’s approach is always gentle and kind, never intrusive. I really respect that in a journalist. Thomas must have felt the same way because he spoke to Gary.

Now, going from the sublime to the ridiculous. John McCain’s faux pas regarding the B-word was inexcusable. As soon as he said, “that is an excellent question,” he condoned the use of the word and all of its implications. I agree with you, if he can’t handle this little blip, how can he ever hope to be considered presidential material?

JMO, but someone should have dropped a house on the woman who asked the question.

@northweston: I would like to add my sympathies as well.

Anonymous said...

Thanks stardust and newsblooz for the kind thoughts.