Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Politicians and Trust … mutually exclusive??

Today’s Buzz ...


John King filling in once again - on what turns out to be a tumultuous evening on the neighboring LKL set ...



Murder in Italy: In addition to having some difficulty keeping a score card for all the possible suspects in the murder of student Meredith Kercher, I’m not sure why it was the lead story last night? I certainly send sympathy to the Kercher family, but other than a motive involving drug use and experimental sex – I just didn’t ‘get’ its relevance. This is one of those moments where I’d ask why the recent Bangladesh cyclone wasn’t ever the lead story, but I try to remember that there are most seasoned individuals making these programming calls ...




Holiday travel – part 2: The map hasn’t improved since last night!! And Ali Velshi was on the set to discuss the very disturbing march towards the day we see $100/barrel for oil. Ali really knows the economics game, and knows how to communicate what’s important so it makes sense!




LKL walk-on, walk-off: Perhaps I was distracted by what had happened the previous hour on Larry King Live? Dr. Jan Adams, the surgeon who performed plastic surgery on Donda West, was suppose to be the exclusive guest for the hour. He was late getting to NYC, and with just minutes before he was to go on live, told Larry and the producers that he’d just received a letter from the West family giving a very stern warning that he should not go through with the appearance, even if he didn’t speak a single word about what may have happened to Professor West. I certainly understand that Larry was disappointed, particularly since he’d come into the studio during vacation time. So the bottom line was – Dr. Adams appeared on camera for about two minutes, simply to tell Larry that he couldn’t do the interview out of respect for the wishes of the West family, took off his microphone and walked off the set. Not in anger – but a surprise nonetheless. And BTW – for those who keep ‘rooting’ for Larry to leave because he just can’t ‘handle’ it any longer – he was as cool as a cucumber – and kept the show going for the entire hour. The real surprises for me were that, (1) according to Larry, that kind of ‘walk-off’ had never happened before in his 50 years of broadcasting, and (2) why didn’t the family protest when Adams gave interviews to both People Magazine and the LA Times? I suppose it was because they didn’t know about those until after the fact? Larry came into the 360 studio after his show ended to discuss the extraordinary details of what happened with John King.




Who trusts ya, baby?: The name of the game last night for the pundits was “trust”. Wait!!! “Politicians and trust” – that combination sure sounds mutually exclusive to me!! As for the Iowa and New Hampshire voters, John King discussed new poll numbers with David Gergen and Hank Sheinkopf. I’d really like to know why the NH voters are so willing to vote for a candidate that they clearly don’t trust?? That makes very little sense to me! But sometimes, not much in politics is meant to make sense, right? The discussion did seem to be more balanced; I was particularly interested in a couple of Mr. Sheinkopf’s observations – one being that we’re holding Hillary to a different standard (than male candidates) when she’s on the attack, the second being that “If she (Hillary) doesn’t play tough and reduce trust down to experience, so that it’s a balance between her and Obama, this could be a very different race.” Reduce trust down to experience – now there’s an interesting (or disturbing, depending on your perspective) piece of advice ...





Jeffs sentenced: Warren Jeffs was sentenced yesterday to two consecutive sentences of five years to life in prison on two counts of rape as an accomplice. Justice at last!!!! Elissa Wall, who testified against Jeffs, must be so very relieved. Gary Tuchman did report that she turned down $5,000 from a Utah state victim reparation fund. I was sorry to hear that – she could have donated it to one of the organizations that are trying to provide support for those girls and woman who flee from the FLDS communities. But I certainly understand her reasoning – she’s such a brave young woman to come forward and allow her story to become public, especially when her family remains devoted to Jeffs. We can only hope that the Arizona courts have the same outcome when they put Jeffs on trial very soon. And if all of the truly disturbing information that has been disclosed about Jeffs’s life hasn't been enough to infuriate you, we learned last night that not only does he have so many wives that there is no ‘official’ count, but that some of them had been married to his deceased father.



Hastert’s foul: All of the Illinois counties who must now bear the cost of special elections to find a mid-term replacement for former House Speaker Dennis Hastert – should send him a bill. Seriously. If he’s no longer having ‘fun’ and no longer wants to ‘play nice’ with his fellow House Reps – that’s OK – but there should be consequences – and not to the Illinois taxpayers!!



The Shot: I guess Erica & John haven’t had many deer leap across their car hoods in the darkness. The worst I’ve ever done was graze a possum with a tire wheel – I stopped, but he (she?) had run off by then.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

A couple of quick updates on the political front:

Scott McClellan – is writing what’s being touted as a ‘tell-all’ book, where he claims he was ‘misled’ about how Valerie Plame’s CIA identity was leaked. I’d like to know what prompted this – I never would have thought he’d have the stomach (I’m being polite) to take on the Texas mafia. He names Karl Rove, VP Cheney & President Bush, and others as well. I’d be careful if I were Scott – VP Darth Vader doesn’t take kindly to accusations like that ...

AND – we finally have a primary date in New Hampshire – hooray!!! It’ll be January 8, 2008 – and they’ll be off and running!!


Thanks so much for visiting – have a wonderful and safe holiday (if you celebrate Thanksgiving!) – the list of what I’m thankful for grows and grows each year – and to be fortunate enough to say that is one of the things that I’m most thankful for. One of my greatest desires is to continue to be able to share more and more of it with others – and to encourage others who are as fortunate to do the same. Peace to all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was annoyed but sadly not all that surprised Monday night when the Bangladesh cyclone coverage was limited to one of the newsbreaks. No mention last night at all unless I missed it? So,I agree with you newsblooz about not understanding why they lead with the story they did.I guess a murder of one person with sex and drugs involved is more newsworthy than over 3000 dead in Bangladesh?I think not but hey maybe I've got my priorities wrong.:-)

I didn't watch LKL last night but from his appearance on AC360 and watching the clip of that part of his program I was very impressed with the way he handled it. Some nights I have thought LK wasn't on top of his game any more but last night proved me wrong!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you south of the border! Have a safe and happy holiday.

blue_eyes4069 said...

I some times wonder how they come up with what story they lead with and what ones they just barely mention. I assume the producer makes those choices.

I am NOT a Larry King fan, but thought he did handle the walk off very well. I just don't understand why that doctor didn't just tell him off camera that he wasn't going instead of being so dramatic about it, unless he was trying to send a message to the West family.

Again, glad I am not on one of those planes on that map. I hope everyone made it to there destinations in time.

Northweston thanks for your Thanksgiving wishes and I would like to add my wishes to yours to everyone who participate on this blog.