Friday, November 16, 2007

The Hill is “redeemed” …

Today's Buzz ...



Or so say the pundits.

The more debates I see with this many participants, the less I pay attention. And why is Hillary Clinton still getting a “free pass” on so many of her claims of what she’s accomplished and how much experience she has?? I’m still baffled by this. For example – “I think that the American people know where I've stood for 35 years. I've been fighting for issues affecting women and children, workers and families. I've been fighting for universal health care.” Really, Senator? The American people knew where you “stood” when Bill was “Governor Clinton”? In Arkansas? Interesting ...

And the softball question about whether or not she’s trying to play the “gender” card ... who’s kidding who at this point? For example – “And I don't mind taking hits on my record on issues, but when somebody starts throwing mud, at least we can hope that it's both accurate and not right out of the Republican playbook.” If Senator Clinton thinks that that the Republican machine isn’t ready to totally annihilate her by any means possible, then no, she isn’t ready to take the oath of office of President of the United States. If her camp thinks Guiliani will be a tough opponent, then she has no business facing Hugo Chavez, Kim Jong Il or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, regardless of how much she attempts to claim that she’s ‘ready’.

Here was the ‘cringe’ line for me – “And this pantsuit, it's asbestos tonight.” Senator Clinton is going to need the titanium steel one – just for the Rudy Guiliani match-up.

The most interesting series of quotes (for me) came from Senator Joe Biden – as it resonated for many Americans across the socio-economic horizon – “The American people don't give a darn about any of this stuff that's going on up here. They're sitting down at their tables at night, they put their kids to bed, and they're worried about whether or not their child is going to run into a drug dealer on the way to school. They're worried about whether or not they're going to be able to pay for their mortgage because, even if they didn't have one of those subprime mortgages, things are looking bad for them. They're worrying about whether they're going to keep their job. And they're worried about whether their son in the National Guard's going to get killed in Iraq. This is not about experience. It's not about change. It's about action.”

A very interesting debate summary can be found at “American Thinker” – here’s an excerpt: “When it was all over, these things were clear: Joe Biden has been a Senator since the Grant Administration. Chris Dodd speaks Spanish. Dennis Kucinich is an angry man. Bill Richardson has a plan for everything except eradicating tooth decay and up-grading the rest area on Highway 70 between Alamogordo and Las Cruces, NM—today it’s a gravel pull-off with two port-a-potties and a dumpster (true). John Edwards doesn’t like trial lawyer slams and won’t be inviting Dennis to his next birthday party. Barak Obama remains a serious contender for the Democrat nomination, and delivered his best overall performance yet, despite Gergen’s Clinton-biased analysis (he imagines himself back in the WH, too). But, Hillary Clinton still sits at the head of the class.”

And as a break from my cynicism, and because I don't want to waste my "screen cap efforts" for the evening, here are a few of the CNN participants:







As for the analysis on AC360°, the “quotes” that I’ll remember are from Suzanne Malveaux, who assisted with audience questions during the second part of the debate – she stated that: “I got a sense from this audience that there was a lot of mistrust here, that they felt like, when it came to the woman whose own son had fulfilled three tours of duty in Iraq. And she's worried about Iran. I mean, there is definitely a sense that they don't know what to think. They don't know what to make of Iraq, the situation there, and they're quite worried, quite scared about things.” Hmmm ... sounds like that potential voter may end up casting her ballot for Rudy next November?



And two memorable “sound bytes” from David Gergen – one about a subject touched on in this blog on Wednesday – “And, very importantly, she (Clinton) got -- she put pressure on Governor Spitzer in New York to drop that driver's license deal before the debate. And, so, tonight, when -- when the driver's license issue came up, she was able to, you know, get out of it with a one-word answer. There was no discussion. So, she was able to pivot out of what had been an issue that could have dragged her down again. And, so, I -- I think a lot of the preparation that went into the game plan actually paid off for them pretty well tonight.”

And “sound byte” number two (and much more important to me) – “I think the hard question is can the winner govern? Can the winner lead? That's going to be really, really tough.

And, you know, what we're looking for now is ... can someone emerge who has the integrity of judgment and the capacity to bring us together? And that is a much, much harder question. I don't think we know that yet.”



To that point, and in closing, I made an observation after taking a second look at the recording of this debate. When the candidates were being introduced, the first one on the stage was John Edwards. Big smile, big wave to the crowd, etc. Second was Chris Dodd. Big smile, big wave to the crowd, etc. And then a warm handshake with John Edwards. Third was Barack Obama. Big smile, big wave to the crowd, etc. And then a warm handshake with Chris Dodd. Fourth out was Hillary Clinton. Big smile, big wave to the crowd, etc. But not only did she not shake hands with anyone, she didn’t even make visual contact with any of her opponents. I know this seems like a very minor observation on my part, but sometimes the little things are what tell you a lot about a person.

Thanks for visiting - updates posted as needed - not sure when I'll blog over the weekend, so enjoy any relaxation you can fit in!

6 comments:

Stardust said...

Newsblooz: Great summary of last night’s boxing match! First of all I want to make it clear that I am an Independent voter with no ax to grind. I haven’t made up my mind yet, but these debates are helping me to narrow my choices.

I thought the candidates were rude to Wolf. There clearly was no honor in the “honor system” last night. I wouldn’t have faulted him if he had cut their mikes. I guess he should just be grateful that no one swore at him.

I think Joe Biden came across as honest and practical. His approach last night appeals to "the man on the street" mentality and he has a way of cutting through the BS. I am not a big Hillary Clinton fan, but with all of her faults last night she came out looking better that I expected considering her stumble on the immigration issue a couple of weeks ago. On the other hand, I was not impressed with Barack Obama’s performance. He stumbled badly on the same question of giving licenses to illegal immigrants that Clinton tripped up on previously and his attempt at recovery was awkward at best. He should have been better prepared. He seemed unable or unwilling to respond to Wolf’s yes or no question regarding it.

I like Dennis because he is one of “ours” here in Ohio and he always responds favorably when I contact him about animal issues, but I am afraid that his opinions on aliens should be limited to those who travel here by UFO.

The other candidates didn’t leave an impression on me either way.

IMO, the mudslinging should be saved for the candidate of the opposing party. I don’t know how these candidates are going to backtrack on the mudslinging they are doing now when they have to endorse their party’s candidate of choice in the general election. No matter what they say they are all guilty of it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the run-down, I missed most of the debate last night and forgot to tape it.

blue_eyes4069 said...

Newsblooz: I am new to posting here, but I think you have a nice, informative blog. I like the way you recap the shows.

I didn't watch the whole debate, but got most of my review from watching the TSR. I am not sure who I will be voting for either, and I do agree with Stardust comments about how the candidates did not listen to Wolf on the yes or no questions. Makes you wonder if they will listen to the American People.

Biden got some very good points in and it has been mentioned that maybe if Hillary gets in there, that he would make a good Secretary of State and I think that would be true, cause he seems to be a down to earth person.

I am imagine with Richardson qualifications, that he would get some kind of post in a Hillary cabinet. Again if Hillary does win the Presidency. Just my thoughts.

Thanks for such an enjoyable blog.

newsblooz said...

@Stardust - thanks - I haven't even come close to making up my mind who I'll vote for. Can I still write-in Stephen Colbert?? (J/K - sort of)

First, I would have no problem if some kind of "bell" or special light were re-instituted during these things for a 10-second warning during responses, and then just cut off the candidate's mike if they insist on jabbering on and on. Period.

Yes, they were rude to Wolf, but what can you expect? I didn't watch the MSNBC debate (now I wish I had) - but it sounds like Tim Russert didn't try to be as "accommodating", for lack of a better word.

I remember hearing Barack Obama's speech when he announced he was running - and thinking "Wow - this guys is really dynamite - he's might give HC a run for the money". But then I saw him in a few other different venues (including one debate) and his hesitancy and lack of clarity seemed in direct contrast to what I'd initially heard. I think he has a definite problem with consistency of "tone" - again, for lack of a better word.

You know, I can't figure out Dennis Kucinich. He'll say one or two things that'll get a "yeah, that's it" kind of response from me, and then he'll go off on some tangent and I tune out. Sorry. I didn't know that there was travel available to Ohio via UFO? Did I understand that right? Can I get a charter flight? I'm KIDDING ... I've actually driven through Ohio a couple of times - it's very nice, but I think I prefer a few more mountains in my scenery!! :-)

newsblooz said...

Hi Lizzy B. - thanks for your post - I'm not sure that I provided too in-depth an analysis, as I think I was annoyed at all (well, most) of the candidates for various reasons, particularly the in-fighting and the fact that they always get away with so much embellishment, so I was probably a little short on substance. But thanks anyway!

newsblooz said...

Hi blue_eyes4069 - thanks very much - I appreciate your post!

I've always liked Joe Biden - there's just that streak of "common sense" that appeals to me - and his ability to talk to truly "average" Americans in terms they can understand - I really don't get why his candidacy has been near the bottom of the pack. And out of everyone on that stage last night (except maybe Richardson), he actually does have the most governing experience. If HC is as smart as she claims, she'll convince him to serve in the Cabinet!! Assuming she has the opportunity, of course ... ;-)

I'm a little unsure of Bill Richardson, if only because I have some friends who live in New Mexico, and have lived there during his entire time in office. They're aware of some the not-so-public activities he's been involved in while serving as governor. Not anything illegal, but it just makes you question one's judgment.

Anyway - thanks again - glad you like the blog! :-)