Tuesday, December 4, 2007

On the road with Huck …

Today’s Buzz ...

And into the stretch it’s ...

Well, not Rudy or Hill, as was demonstrated through last night’s poll review and subsequent discussion with Gloria Borger, Mark Halperin and Carl Bernstein. I’m glad to see Carl Bernstein being added to the CNN team, and not to detract from his exemplary credentials, but whenever I see him, the word “rumpled” pops into my mind. Kind of like the political version of “Columbo”. But as we know, the detective’s analysis was always accurate, and I imagine that Mr. Bernstein will follow suit!



I’m not surprised at all by the poll numbers below. I may have been unpopular with my previous swipes at Senator Clinton and Mayor Rudy, but we keep hearing the word “authenticity”. And that’s not a word that gets automatically associated with their names – for very obvious reasons.




I’ll say this quite a few more times, but I love this time of the political ‘season’. If only because it provides so much amusement. For example, yesterday – Hillary accused Senator Obama of ‘running for President since he entered the Senate’. Hello, pot? Kettle calling ...


So, Governor Huckabee - what was Keith Richards doing in Arkansas??

Well, looks like Gov. Mike gets a positive rating coming out of last night’s 360 interview, and I can’t say that I’m surprised in the least! Even though I've taken a couple of "shots" at Gov Mike on this blog, the "likability" and the "authenticity" are nothing new at all. It's not just for the campaign. The first time I saw him was on "Real Time with Bill Maher" - he's been on twice just this year - and although there are too many differences for me to vote for him (at least so far) - he listens and responds without attacking. That's more than can be said for a number of other politicians - GOP or Dem.

If he survives the Super Tuesday Super Vote – and is still a viable candidate – I think I’d start to be a little concerned about the ‘populist’ message and whether or not we can really assess if Gov. Mike will continue to be as authentic as he has been in the past. Look at what ended up happening with the guy you wanted to have a beer with during the race in 2000 ...

But for now, we can chuckle at the Governor’s ‘pardon’ of Keith Richards and enjoy the bass playing – at least until things get really serious on January 4th ...





Sean Taylor remembered ...

This is such a sad story, particularly for someone who was trying to live in a positive (as opposed to destructive) manner. I was interested to hear earlier in the evening that all four suspects can be charged equally on the murder count – even though only one actually fired the gun. It’s too bad that concept doesn’t apply to cyber-stalking, as we saw in the next segment.



No justice for Megan Meier ...

I had read about this decision earlier in the day, so I already knew the conclusion. The logical side of me knows that, under current statutes, the DA’s decision that he couldn’t press charges in this case is the only option he had. All of the other sides of me are screaming about how wrong it all is … especially given the attitude of this other family. I don’t know if the Meiers will go ahead with civil litigation, given how painful it would be. Perhaps it’ll depend on how much faith they have that there are greater laws for which this woman (and any accomplices) will be judged by. But I will say that the look of emptiness from Tina Meier last night will be staying with me for a very long time!



Reading Comprehension ...

This is part of the transcript from the last night’s first News Bulletin:

“New insight on Iran from a newly declassified U.S. report which shows Iran actually stopped working on a nuclear weapon in 2003 while under international pressure and likely won't have enough enriched uranium for a bomb for two to seven years.”
And the Bush Administration is, of course, taking full credit for this report and using it as justification for their tactics. WHAT?? Does that include the recent Bush speech where he referenced “World War III”, if Iran’s nuclear program isn’t stopped immediately? Does it include all of the additional ‘saber-rattling’ that’s been going on for at least the past two years? Do they understand what this report says? It says that all the fear-mongering that has occurred has been unnecessary! There were additional parts of the report not discussed on 360, such as the fact that it was determined that Iran, at one point, would have been amenable to diplomatic discussions regarding nuclear research being conducted in their country. But no, Darth Vader and the Texas Cowboy won’t tolerate any of that ‘wimp’ attitude ... ‘get the bombs ready’ is always a better option, right???

But to keep it all upbeat – regardless of those bringing us down ...

I’m going to post a separate entry today about more GOOD NEWS for the blog – we have another interview in the works, and this time – I’m looking for questions from YOU!!


Happy Hanukkah to all those celebrating starting at sundown this evening!



Thanks for visiting – updates posted as needed – have a terrific day!

1 comment:

Stardust said...

Newsblooz: Great blog today! I was also glad to see Carl Bernstein added to the CNN team. I am not a fan of his colleague Bob Woodward, but I have always respected Carl.

Sadly, I find it difficult to attach the word authentic to any of the candidates. However, I do agree that Mike Huckabee seems to possess a certain amount of it. Authenticity does not seem to last long after the election. I also saw him on "Real Time" with Bill Maher. Like you, I believe there are too many “differences” for me to vote for him, but at least I know where he stands. Likeability is one thing, being able to run the country is another. This country has already suffered enough by putting one “good old boy” in the White House. Also, I don’t think I could tolerate another president who forms governmental policies based on their religion.

The case of Megan Meier is very sad; it is a shame that something like this has to happen before laws are changed. I hope her parents go through with their civil suit if only to expose these people for what they did and to maybe discourage anyone from doing this to someone else. The actions of these three individuals have destroyed an entire family. I don’t know how they can live with themselves.

I appreciated Anderson’s sensitivity during his interview with Tina Meier. IMO, this is one of the things that make him stand out in comparison to other anchors.

Will someone please explain to me how "W" did not know about this new intelligence until last week if he gets an intelligence briefing every morning? At the least, why didn’t someone tell him to tone down the World War III rhetoric? He may not have had the particulars, but I am sure he was aware of the significance of these reports.