Monday, December 24, 2007

Why Christmas??

Today’s Buzz ...

It’s Christmas Eve!!!

And as of about 45 minutes ago, Santa had just visited Baghdad – I certainly hope he was extra generous with whatever he left – the children in Iraq are in great need, and they are sometimes the forgotten victims of the ongoing conflict.



Speaking of Iraqi children, AC360° is pre-empted tonight in order to broadcast a special called “Rescuing Youssif” – Youssif is the young 5-year-old boy that was grabbed from his Baghdad home, doused with gasoline and set on fire. It was a vicious and cruel random attack, for which no motive has been identified and no one has yet been arrested.

Last night, Rob Marciano (doing terrific fill-in anchor work) interviewed Arwa Damon about the special; Arwa has been one of Youssif’s strongest advocates and supporters in his struggle to come to the US and receive treatment at the world-renowned Grossman Burn Center. They also talked about other Iraqi children who have been victimized by the violence so prevalent in the country, and about how the families who are able to make it to the US for their children’s treatment are always happily surprised by the openness and generosity of Americans. I hope that people are able to watch what is certain to be a very inspirational story tonight.

Photo courtesy of CNN


There are a number of other items that I could write about today, but I’ll pass until Wednesday because, well, it’s time for me to step out of the realm of ‘political correctness’ momentarily. I will preface this by saying that I completely support everyone’s right to worship and believe (or not worship and believe) – as they choose. Wherever you may be in the world. And I would never “inflict” any of my religious beliefs on any unwilling ears (or eyes). So - since I’m about to get “mildly” religious – you’ve been forewarned if you choose to read on.

A funny thing happened to me as I became old enough to enter first grade. I’d never been very good about sitting still in church and listening to the priest’s sermons – I was always anxious to get home, change clothes and go outside and play. Even in the winter. So I always missed the ‘real’ Christmas message – chalk it up to daydreaming – even though my parents made sure to remind me as well. But they’re all adults, right? They don’t understand a six-year-old’s priorities! Like a new snowsuit – or a new sled!! It took finally being able to stay awake long enough that year to watch a repeat of “A Charlie Brown Christmas” – and hearing Linus quote scripture from the Book of Luke – that it all made sense. It might seem very strange to admit that it took a cartoon character to get “the message” through – but remember that we’re talking about a six-year-old! I guess it’s one of those ‘pivotal’ childhood moments that stays with you.


"A Charlie Brown Christmas" photos courtesy of ABC.com


So what that said – back to the original question of this blog entry – “Why Christmas?” – and beyond all of the boxes, bags, bows and ribbons – this is why:

Luke 2:1-2:20 (King James Version)

(1) And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.

(2) (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)

(3) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.

(4) And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)

(5) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.

(6) And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.

(7) And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

(8) And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

(9) And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

(10) And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

(11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

(12) And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

(13) And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,

(14) Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

(15) And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.

(16) And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

(17) And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child.

(18) And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds.

(19) But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.

(20) And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.



Thank you so very much for taking time out of your day to visit – I wish everyone a wonderfully joyous and peaceful Christmas!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah..Christmas Eve ..my favorite night of the year! Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas. Only one more sleep!!!!

Stardust said...

Christmas Eve has always been my favorite night of the year. I think the anticipation is better than anything you can unwrap and I think the most inexpensive things like love and friendship are the most important. Tonight I am spending the time in front of a brightly lit Christmas tree watching "The Polar Express." This is my favorite Christmas movie because its message is so simple; "the true spirit of Christmas lies in your heart."

I wish everyone at GMG and anyone reading the AC360 Buzz a Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year.

The bell still rings for me.

newsblooz said...

Thanks very much to both of you (northweston & stardust) - your support means a lot to me! I hope that much peace and joy encompasses each and every day in the New Year for both of you!! :-)

blue_eyes4069 said...

Merry Christmas to all who celebrates. I hope you all have a great day and every wish you have comes true.

Stardust--I agree friendships are most important.

Merry Christmas to Northweston, Stardust and Newzblooz. A great day to all

Stardust said...

Thanks Newsblooz and Blue_Eyes4069! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas day!

The only sad thing about it is that it has become so commercialized. No matter how you celebrate the day I hope all of you had a chance to sit back and reflect on what the spirit of the day is all about.

Newsblooz: If you have the chance please print these lyrics to "Grown Up Christmas Wish;" when I hear Michael Buble sing it it always brings tears to my eyes. I think it is the perfect message for this holiday season:

GROWN-UP CHRISTMAS LIST
Michael Buble Version

Do you remember me?
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you with childhood fantasies
Well, I’m all grown-up now
Can you still help somehow?
I’m not a child, but my heart still can dream

So here’s my lifelong wish
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself, but for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
Every man would have a friend
That right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth?
Maybe only in that blind belief can we ever find the truth

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal our hearts
Every man would have a friend
That right would always win
And love would never end

This is my grown-up Christmas list
This is my only lifelong wish
This is my grown-up Christmas list