Monday, October 29, 2007

moving into greener territory ...

Today’s Buzz ...

tonight on Anderson Cooper 360°:


Hmmm ... well, if Anderson is in the Congo, working on a report for 60 Minutes, I guess there won’t be any ‘supplemental’ reports shown on 360° this week. For some odd reason, I thought there might be – I know that they’re two different programs on two different networks, but it seems a waste for him to be all the way over there and not send anything back to be shown on 360°. There are just SO many stories that should be heard – there are refugees fleeing to Uganda, floods & landslides, UN Peacekeepers under attack, journalists being beaten and banned, and of course – the recent seizure of mountain gorilla habitat by rebel Congo forces.




I guess we’ll have to wait and see if any additional reports are sent back to the US this week ...

And in spite of the fact that Planet in Peril earned very good ratings for CNN, I’m a little surprised at the amount of ‘backlash’ being published not only from skeptics of the premise (i.e. – the rate at which our planet is changing and what the main causes are), but the unfounded attacks on the presentation itself. Case in point – the Sunday column from Bill Steigerwald in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review has already had to be corrected as he referred to “Anderson Cooper’s sloppy journalism” from the Alaska segment – when we know it was Jeff Corwin in Alaska – who, BTW, isn’t a journalist, but I’m sure he could put ole’ Bill to shame in any conversation involving the environment.

On the more positive side, I also wanted to try and “continue” with one of the themes from Planet in Peril, and that is what you can do about lessening your own impact on our changing environment. I’ll post various tips, resources and the like as often as possible – today’s segment focuses on “10 Ways to Greener Computing”:

1. Make sure all of your computer’s “energy saving” options have been maximized – particularly for your monitor.
2. Turn everything off when not in use – not just in “standby” mode.
3. Buy “Energy Star” compliant peripherals.
4. Dispose of laptop batteries properly.
5. Utilize online web conferencing services, such as NetMeeting, to save resources otherwise used on unnecessary travel.
6. Reduce paper consumption – save file copies electronically – explore “paperless office” options.
7. Use recycled paper.
8. Recycle the paper you do use!
9. Recycle older computers when upgraded – donate them to a school or charity.
10. Visit www.greenbiz.com for more ideas!


I also wanted to give another “plug” for the upcoming CNN “Heroes” tribute that will be held on December 6th – and assisting Anderson with hosting duties will be Christiane Amanpour. You can vote now at the Heroes web site – all winners will be chosen from the online votes!



And perhaps this isn’t news to anyone at this point, but in one of last week’s PIP press releases from CNN, there was a link to an online press kit, which contains video trailers (not the outtakes, though), but most important, access to well over 100 high-resolution pictures from Planet in Peril, and I must tell you that they are stunning. If you do post them anywhere but on your own computer, please observe the request listed on the page for giving credit, as this is probably somewhat of an experiment on CNN’s part.

Well, that’s news for today – we’ll see what the 10:00 PM ET hour brings us as far as a substitute anchor goes!

Thanks for visiting – updates posted as needed – have a terrific day!

9 comments:

ac said...

I came across that site last week,while I was at the Turner Pressroom site,I followed the link on their page,to find those PIP images.

Those pictures are really amazing!

Thanks for the update on the AOL videos.I guess I was just hoping that the problems might have been fixed!

I tried to see if maybe the settings were the problem,but it is just where I am in the world I guess!LOL

Anyway,I am hoping the ones I want will show up on the PIP dvd.

I was hoping that maybe Anderson's
Niger work would make its way to 360-he only had about 10 minutes aired on 60 Minutes,and I hope his Congo work will show up as well.
Why go there for just 10 minutes of story?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I e-mailed Bill Steigerwald early Sunday after I read his article in the Pittsburg Tribune on PIP and told him if he was going to malign someone, he should, at least, identify the person correctly. I did not get a reply, however he has corrected his error without mentioning that he was responsible for the error. I also asked him if he watched PIP since he did not seem to see what I saw.
Talk about sloppy journalism!!!

Anonymous said...

Last week while reading comments at some sites I was shocked at how many people are out there who dismiss the whole concept of the topics PIP covered. Of course many of these comments were from FNC viewers who passed it off as left -wing propaganda. So it was difficult to know if they really disagree with the whole notion of climate change, over population etc or simply dismissed it because it was CNN.

That article was something else wasn't it?? Last I checked he hadn't noted the correction .Guess he thought he would just quietly do it and hope that we all thought we just imagined the original error. Even with the correction it is still a hatchett job on PIP and all involved in bringing us this truly remarkable documentary.

Thanks for the link to those breath taking photos from PIP!

I agree it would be nice to get reports from the Congo while AC is there.

Stardust said...

Newsblooz: I still have hope that Anderson will do something for "360" from the Congo, it seems like such a waste for him to go all the way over there just for a 10 or 20 minute report. I was hoping that if he went to the Congo to report on the rebels he would give us an update on the mountain gorillas in Virunga National Park and how the DFGFI is trying to help them since the rangers have been forced out by the rebels and the gorillas are now vulnerable to poachers, but if he is going for "60 Minutes" alone he won’t have much time to address this issue.

For anyone who is interested, "Animal Planet" is airing a couple of interesting programs, one called "Gorillas on the Brink" with Jack Hanna and "Almost Human" with Jane Goodall.

The "Pittsburgh Tribune-Review" may have sneakily corrected Steigerwald’s sloppy column, but enough of us were able to view it. When I read it I immediately sent an email to "360" and told them about it. I hope they were able to copy it.

Thanks for the great tips! "360" did a great job on "Planet in Peril" now it is up to us to take action.

I think I have my choices for "Heroes" down to five people, but it isn’t easy. They are all so worthy.

Since I have been bugging "360" to update the photo gallery since "Planet in Peril" began in February, I was delighted to find the online press kit site last week! The photos are gorgeous, but where are the photos of the lemurs? Needless to say, I love the photos of Anderson, but I was hoping for more photos of animals from Madagascar and the Amazon, especially the lemurs (the one at the end of "Planet in Peril" was especially beautiful!), the sloths, and better photos of the manatees. I love the photos of the elephants in Cambodia, but how could they not post a photo of the beautiful tiger?

I was surprised that they did not post any photos from Greenland! The footage they shot over there was truly surreal! Hopefully they will add to the photos. I am still hoping for a coffee table type book!

Thanks for the great blog post!

newsblooz said...

Hi Anne - sorry the AOL "fixes" didn't work out! I would hope that the PIP "outtakes" will show up on the DVD - isn't that one of the "features" that make DVD's special? ;-)

newsblooz said...

Hi Judy - I would imagine that Mr. Steigerwald got an earful from plenty of miffed PIP viewers! Thanks for giving him a piece of your mind, and that of many others!

newsblooz said...

@NWO - it's OK for me to call you that, isn't it? ;-)

I'm still a bit surprised at what I refer to as the "PIP backlash". Maybe the critics (whether about the concept or CNN in general) think they need to be especially vocal because the documentary was so well done in the first place??

newsblooz said...

@Stardust - gosh, I really do hope that we get some "extra" Niger AND Congo footage on 360. At some point.

Sometimes I feel like a "lone wolf" when I "beat the drum" for more international coverage in prime time on CNN/US. This country is moving more and more towards isolation, particularly in a time when it's even more urgent to be a pro-active member of the global community.

And I'm having some computer problems right now, which is why there might be any entry today (!!), but I wanted to get comments posted no matter what! All that to say that I'll (soon) have more PIP screen shots to post both here and at the group that fills in the gaps! :-)

Anonymous said...

LOL..yes NWO works for me even though it took me a minute to figure out who you were talking too.:)

Yes the very vocal backlash could be for the reason you stated. I'm almost hoping a lot of it was due to the CNN factor and not the fact that so many people have their heads stuck in the sand about these important issues. Still would bug me but easier to understand bias over ..well stupidity.:-)