Thursday, October 11, 2007

“Until the Day Is Done” …

There isn’t much I can add to the debut of the new REM song last night on Anderson Cooper 360°, interspersed along a backdrop of scenes from the upcoming ”Planet in Peril” documentary. It’s beautiful and the music and message blends so magnificently with the theme of PIP. I’m also pleased that it’s an REM song, since they’ve consistently been one of the most environmentally-conscious music groups around. And according to the blog entry from EP David Doss yesterday, it was no small feat – from the “corporate quagmire” side of the equation - to get this song for the documentary in the first place!

I’d like to briefly take (small) issue with one thing that Anderson seemed to say on The View this past Tuesday and suggested again last night – about the “real” decisions needing to be at the higher level policy-making levels. I happen to believe that the only lasting solutions to this crisis are going to be those arrived at synergistically – from the “consumer” level all the way up to the “global” level. And the solutions must also be based in “shared” responsibility - on the global level.

Anyway – enough of my agenda - and yes, I have an agenda about this issue … such a maligned word these days ...

If you’d like to see the video again, it’s available here, and the full interview with Michael Stipe is available here.

A more extensive photo album will be posted at the AC360° Yahoo group – if you’re not a member (yet), click on the sidebar link and join today!










3 comments:

Stardust said...

I was so pleased that "360" chose REM to do the song for "PIP." It is much more meaningful that the song was done by people who have a history of caring about these issues. I think that the song beautifully complemented the footage and the message they are trying to convey in the "Planet in Peril" documentary.

I love your agenda! I agree with you, these changes must be done simultaneously from the consumer level to the policy making level. Shared responsibility is paramount.

Michael made an excellent point Wednesday when he said that the media and the public must step up and keep the focus on these important issues and not get caught up in minor distractions.

If you haven’t been to the REMHQ website take a look, they support many causes, from human rights to animal rights, something close to my heart.

Beautiful caps!! I hope "360" will put out a HD copy of "PIP" for viewers to purchase so that those of us who do not have HD can appreciate PIP the way it was intended to be seen. It would also be a good idea if they put out a companion book of photos and maybe donate a portion of the money to charity. I have sent my suggestion to the feedback; maybe they will consider it.

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea about the HD copy/companion book and donating portion to charity.

newsblooz said...

Yes, I agree as well - CNN put together a very nice hard cover book that chronicled all of the Hurricane Katrina coverage - I'm not sure if the proceeds went to charity, but it was a terrific book (even though the subject matter was a natural disaster!)